Thursday, May 17, 2012

Review: Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

STORM!! Oh my word, Storm. From the moment I heard about this book, I was absolutely dying to read it! I mean, think about it. Control over the elements is a favorite theme of mine. Seriously,  my favorite superpower EVER, not to mention just COOL. So, if you give that power to a bunch of hot guys?

Yeah, count me in.


Storm by Brigid Kemmerer 
Earth, Fire, Air, Water – they have more power than you dream. 
Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys—all the ones she doesn't want. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water—just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death. 
And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca. 
Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all. 
The storm is coming . . . 
------
There was so much awesome in this book, it's hard to know where to begin. So I guess I'll continue with where I started in my intro--ELEMENTALS.

So, meet the Merrick brothers: Michael, Gabriel, Nick, and Chris (oh, CHRIS <3). They have power over the elements. (I say again, COOLEST POWER EVER!!!) Because of this fact, they are more powerful than anyone can ever imagine--which is why they're marked for death.

Becca is an average girl, but when she meets the Merricks, its pretty obvious from the get-go that they are far from "average" themselves. And when she gets sucked into their world of secrets and danger and power, secrets will be revealed that nobody saw coming--especially not us, the unsuspecting readers.

I loved everything about Storm. Everything. The story was fast-paced, the whole idea intriguing, and the characters the sort you fall in love with before you even realize what's happening. And once it's sucked you in, this book is not going to let you go. As soon as I finished reading it (which didn't take long, I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN), I wanted more. Quite desperately. Luckily, my copy of Storm (well, my library's copy, but you get what I mean) contained both a sneak peak of Spark, and the novella, Elemental. (At least, I think it was the whole of Elemental. I thought it was, but if it was a sneak peak I want to read more of it, so let me know if you know!)

I fell in love with Chris from the instant he was introduced. (It doesn't hurt that water is my favorite element and I love basically every character trait Chris has.) I loved Becca and Chris's chemistry and the way they acted around each other. Romance is usually one of my favorite parts of a story, and Storm had an excellent balance of romance and other plot features that I loved. And I loved the other Merrick brothers as well--they all had something interesting about them that made them unique and cool and lovable. I'm really looking forward to learning more about all of them, and seeing what happens next with them (most of all Chris and Becca) in the later books.

Of course, I should probably address Hunter, as well. Hunter was awesome, as well. He was interesting and well, hot, and kind of awesome. But of course, I had to kinda-sorta hate him, because I chose Chris as my love and I was angry at anything standing between him and Becca.

But anyway. I can objectively admit that he is awesome, as well :)

ANYHOO, Storm absolutely gets <*><*><*><*><*>

(:D)
~Mag

2 comments:

  1. AHH! Your review was so so so awesome. I love how they each have elemental powers and I must say that Chris sounds wonderful! I need to pick up this book, asap! It's sound sooo good from your review alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Really though, you must read it! EVERYONE MUST READ IT!!

      Delete

We love comments! We respond to every one, so check back later for a response, or leave an e-mail address or twitter, and we'll reply that way!