Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Review: Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices) by Cassandra Clare





HERE IT IS! My first review. What better choice could there be than the newest release from one of my all-time FAVORITE authors, Cassandra Clare!

Clockwork Prince is one of those books that can make you want to laugh and cry and shriek all within, like, five pages. It’s guaranteed to both sate the hunger for more left after Clockwork Angel and then bring back the hunger full-force, this time for Clockwork Princess.

Please keep in mind, while reading my review, it does contain certain things that may be considered mild spoilers for the first book in The Infernal Devices series, Clockwork Angel. If you haven’t read Clockwork Angel, please proceed with caution.


And now, to get you in the proper mindset, let’s check out a synopsis of CP.

Same disclaimer for the synopsis--mild CA spoilers.



 
Clockwork Prince

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.
With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.
Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?
As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.
    I got this synopsis from amazon.com

    ------

When I first got my hands on a copy of Clockwork Prince, for a few minutes all I did was stare at it in awe. After waiting for it for so long, I needed a moment to mentally prepare myself. And that cover is nice, even if it is Jem and Jem… is not my favorite. Yes, be shocked if you WILL (that's a pun, get it?), but I am one of those people who loved Will as soon as I read Clockwork Angel. I love him, though some hate him. But that’s not the point.

This book...with all the hype waiting for it, I was expecting A LOT. And I think it pretty much delivered. There were a lot of laughs, for sure. Some plot twists and side stories that rocked. Very much romance. Lots of secrets revealed, and not just at the end. Plus there were some lovely POVs, including some heartbreaking Will POV moments, which made my Will-loving self happy and sad simultaneously.

Then, of course, there is the problem of the Magister. We're looking for answers about this creeper. Will we find any? Ha! That's a major spoiler alert! Read it yourself!

And--oh my gosh, I can't believe I almost forgot!!--MAGNUS!!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT GUY!!! I loved him in The Mortal Instruments, loved him in Clockwork Angel, ADORE HIM in Clockwork Prince! It don't get better than Magnus Bane, folks.

Now, I will tell you one thing about Clockwork Prince: For every question answered, six more will be raised, if not more. Questions about Will, about Jem, about parabatai and Shadowhunters...And many about Tessa; about her very existence.

Have I got you interested? If you've read Clockwork Angel and liked it, this is a must-read. Must. If you haven't, and I've still made you think, "That sounds cool." go read it first--don't you DARE skip!
 


Without question, I give this book <*><*><*><*><*>

(:D)
~Mag

2 comments:

  1. I get the pun! I get the pun!
    Ahem.
    Magister definitely = creeper. Though I thought it was very clever how Clare put the (SPOILER) "Clockwork Prince" title on him. I was actually expecting someone else o.o

    Yess. Magnus! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you got the pun! I'm really good at really bad puns, so I'm just relieved they can at least be understood! Yeah, the *spoiler* Clockwork Prince thing was really cool! That's not what I expected, either! *end spoiler*

      Thanks for checking out the review, Ella!

      Delete

We love comments! We respond to every one, so check back later for a response, or leave an e-mail address or twitter, and we'll reply that way!