Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: Entice by Carrie Jones

After reading Need (with an ending that made me happy) and Captivate (with an ending that made me freak out) I knew I needed to read Entice ASAP. So I did :)

*DO NOT READ THIS SYNOPSIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST TWO BOOKS IN THE SERIES! IT IS SO SUPER SPOILERY, SERIOUSLY!!!*

Entice by Carrie Jones

Zara and Nick are soul mates, meant to be together forever.
But that's not quite how things have worked out.

For starters, well, Nick is dead.
Supposedly, he's been taken to a mythic place for warriors known as Valhalla, so Zara and her friends might be able to get him back. But it's taking time, and meanwhile a group of evil pixies is devastating Bedford, with more teens going missing every day. An all-out war seems imminent, and the good guys need all the warriors they can find. But how to get to Valhalla?

And even if Zara and her friends discover the way, there's that other small problem: Zara's been pixie kissed. When she finds Nick, will he even want to go with her? Especially since she hasn't just turned...she's Astley's queen.


------

Let me tell you, folks, Carrie Jones has done the impossible. She has created a love triangle that has me absolutely stumped.

It's no secret that love triangles annoy me. There are some books that I love (The Darkest Powers series, A Beautiful Dark, Hex Hall) that have love triangles, and there are other books that I love (Matched, The Infernal Devices series, SHADE) in which love triangles are major parts of the books, but in general, I despise love triangles, because it seems to me that they are simply overdone. That's why I appreciate a good, love-triangle-less book.

When I first read Need, I was head over heels for Nick. He was the most perfect guy ever, and I loved him. I still do. That's why I was frustrated when Astley entered the picture, because I was so glad to have a book where the heroine and hero could just be together without the complication of another guy. So, throughout Captivate, I made myself hate Astley. But afterward, the more I thought about it, the more I wondered if maybe he wasn't that bad after all.

Then onto Entice. Without Nick there, and WITH Astley there, I remembered that I loved Nick and why, but I also found myself starting to like Astley, too.

And there lies the problem, because for possibly the first time EVER, I can't choose between two boys in a love triangle. I have absolutely no clue which boy I like better, never mind which one I think Zara should or will end up with. 

I don't think this has ever happened before. I love Tod from Soul Screamers, Will from Infernal Devices, Ky from Matched, Zachary from SHADE, Derek from Darkest Powers. But I don't know if I like Nick or Astley better. AND THAT IS FREAKING ME OUT.

So props to you, Carrie Jones. You broke my brain! (:D)

Moving along from the love triangle for a moment, some other things I loved:
-The chapter heads. Those news reports, Twitter updates and blog posts? Hilarious.
-The reference to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels band, which is one of my favorite songs from when I was little.
-The reference to Rick Astley. Because that did not even connect in my brain, and now "Never Gonna Give You Up" is stuck in my brain for all of eternity.

Some things I didn't love:
-That this book broke my heart. That is all. It is tragic.

Altogether, I give this book <*><*><*><*><*>

(:D)
~Mag

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! We respond to every one, so check back later for a response, or leave an e-mail address or twitter, and we'll reply that way!